News around you

NDRF pulls off operation in Maharashtra landslip; no body found on Sunday

Minister says NDRF calls off Maharashtra landslip operation; no body recovered on Sunday, tolls stay at 27. State minister Uday Samant said 27 remains have been retrieved and 57 are untraceable, adding that no bodies were found on Sunday.

MUMBAI: According to state minister Uday Samant on Sunday, the National Disaster Response Force has officially ended its search and rescue effort in connection with the landslip that occurred on Wednesday in Irshalwadi, Maharashtra’s Raigad district.

Samant, the guardian minister of Raigad, stated during a press conference that the choice was made after consultation with the district administration, other relevant authorities, and locals.

Officials reported that no bodies were discovered among the wreckage on Sunday, but that 27 remains have so far been retrieved and 57 are untraceable. Twelve of these are males, ten are women, and four are children; one corpse has not yet been recognised, they continued.

In the secluded tribal village, which is at least an hour’s drive from a motorable road, at least 17 of the town’s 48 homes were completely or partially buried by the landslip that occurred on July 19 at around 10:30 p.m.

After suspending it the previous evening due to darkness and bad weather, the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and other agencies started the search and rescue operation for a fourth day on Sunday at Irshalwadi, around 80 kilometres from Mumbai.

You might also like

Comments are closed.